Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back to School and Browned Butter

For our family, July is back to school time. Next week we will get back into the swing of things with our studies. Mark will begin the Abeka kindergarten program and Maya will pick back up where she left off in her 2nd and 3rd grade books. I don't know if that will give me more or less time to update my blog...we will find out! As you can see from the picture above, this year we have school desks to use. That surely makes it more fun!! Mark picked these up at the Majestic Flea Market. They still had several last week, so if any of you home school families are interested you should check it out.
Here is one of those recipes that is so easy it barely counts as a recipe. Thanks to a tip from my friend Jodie E., I recently learned what a difference it makes to brown your butter before cooking with it. Yep, just put it in the pan and cook the butter until it is brown, then proceed to use it however you want. I used browned butter to cook corn cut fresh from the cob, diced zucchini and onion. Finish with salt and pepper to taste. It was soooo good. Serve it with any meat from the grill, and you have a meal that just tastes like summertime!
Soup

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never thought to brown the butter first--sounds good! Do you use margarine or real butter?